Welcome!

I've come to realize I am lucky and blessed. :)

Monday, November 22, 2010

What a Stupid and overused Statement!

I just watched the season finale of "The Amazing Race." I forgot what past season it was, but that's beside the point. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this show, it's a race around the world. Every day, people start and end the race in a new country. They have to complete tasks and challenges along the way. These challenges are associated with the culture and environment of the area. After each 'leg', a team (of two) are eliminated.
One of these teams was a mom and her deaf 20-something son. This team was on there, for one reason, to prove that deaf people really can do anything. In the end, (after coming in third place) he 'signed' this (well, something like this)-
"Since I went on the Amazing Race and I'm deaf, I guess that means that any deaf person can do anything."

What the heck?

You mean, deaf people can ACTUALLY fly on airplanes, paint faces, dance, and even eat with a spoon? I didn't realize! Just imagine, now that this man has gone on the amazing race, deaf people can now realize that they're not IDIOTS! They really are people! Guess I was wrong when I said to the deaf girl "HA! YOU CAN'T USE FACE PAINT BECAUSE YOU'RE DEAF!"

Seriously? That was a really stupid statement he and she made. Why is this something that needs to be proved? Of course you can do the same things a non-deaf person can! Anybody who keeps telling you otherwise is either worried or an idiot. Of course, when the statement was first made, it was okay to say. In the amazing race, you have to communicate with a lot of people, and being deaf brings up many challenges. So when they came in first place on the first leg, it was proven, no more proving needed. But when a problem came up, they played the 'deaf card.' (or excuse) It was all "poor me, I'm deaf." That got irritating. There was an episode where a girl accidentally bumped into the deaf guy (who I will call Bob) and got to the "clue card" box before him. Because of this, Bob's team had a big misunderstanding. He said she "intentionally" bumped into him. He started signing to her in frustration, and she started to laugh. Either because she was nervous or she found his anger funny, Bob's team got mad. They started saying that everybody doesn't understand and they started pulling the 'poor me, I'm deaf ' card again. They even said "Your black, so you should understand." That was also a dumb statement. Unless they happen upon the rare occasion of meeting a racist, the color of skin has no disadvantage. And the African-American team didn't say "poor us, we're black" at all. But here's a deaf guy whining that deaf people are at a disadvantage because of a disability. It's ridiculous. The girl even apologized to them, but Bob and mom held a grudge for the rest of the game.

You might be thinking that I'm so mean for insulting this deaf guy and that I don't know what it's like to be deaf. And you know what, your right. I'm really am being quite mean and I have absolutely no clue how horrible it must be to be deaf. I wouldn't be able to listen to music anymore! That would be devastating! And I fully realize that being deaf can be frustrating, but being deaf is no cap on ability. Sure, you might not be able to listen to music, but you can compose. Beethoven was one of the world's most famous composers and he was deaf. I saw a deaf dancer on "So You Think You Can Dance" and he was good. He didn't make the cut, but he was good. He was even able to inspire me. So, when this guy keeps using his disability as an excuse to complain, that just annoys me. Also, I'm diabetic, so I can sort of sympathize with him. But sadly, I also can't because that means I know how it is to be disabled. Does it suck? At times, yes. Defiantly. Most times, not really. So, I know that I were to replace deaf, with diabetic in the earlier statement, I would sound so stupid. Diabetes doesn't cap ability at all. Sure, it may make exercise harder and eating more work, but it has no affect on my opportunity to travel. Being a diabetic didn't stop me from experiencing a two week trip in New York, so do I have the right to say "Since I went on this trip, that means Diabetics can do anything...?" Yes, I do, but it would sound extremely dumb. And that's why I don't say it. So, I really don't have to much sympathy for the guy for being a whiner. I'm sorry, but I don't

Now, if you have some disability and people doubt you and you just need to prove this... THING to them, then go ahead, I applaud you for taking a stand. But if you use that disability to blame EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM in your life, then I'm sorry, but my applauds run out.

Also, I'm not discriminator. I might have sounded so in this post and I want to make that clear. I DO NOT THINK ANY LESS OF YOU IF YOU ARE HANDICAPPED OR DISABLED IN ANY WAY.

This team just ticked me of.

3 comments:

  1. WOW we can tell you obviously feel strongly about this, Andrew. I hpe nobody deaf reads your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea... whiners annoy me. Which reminds me, I should now watch myself when I'm a whiner. There is NO WAY I'm going to be a hypocrite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not gonna read all this, but I believe I overreacted. o.O

    ReplyDelete