Welcome!

I've come to realize I am lucky and blessed. :)

Monday, November 1, 2010

Metal in the Mall- First Draft

I walked into the store, looking for a hat.
A hat, just a hat, and only that.
But I became the victim of a horror.
A horror, such a horror, the horror made me sore.
It flooded in my ears, which started the pain.
A pain, so much pain, it made me insane.
A sound which seemed to have burst from Hell.
Burst from Hell, sounded like Hell, anyone could tell.

The stampede of drums, the back-beat of scum.
The anger of guitars that blacken the stars.
The screams of the Demons that come in legions.
 
Music from the Devil, this evil called Metal.

The Musical horror invaded my body.
Invaded my body, infected my body, then started to get bloody.

I started to moan, then my ears started bleeding.
But the drums kept on beating.
the guitars kept on riffing.
The demons kept on screaming.

I felt sick to the stomach, I was going to throw up.
But as a volcano, drum beats erupt.
Guitar chords went corrupt.
And the demons wouldn't shut-up.

As the music blared on, I couldn't think straight.
The drum beats were irate.
The guitar notes defied fate.
The vocals were berate.

It was torture to hear that abominable music.
A noise, terrible noise, don't get why it's called music.
But desperate, I was, to find a hat.
A hat, just a hat, I just want a hat!
I looked around quickly at all they had.
All they had was one bag. How very sad!

So I rushed from the store to escape the inferno.
The inferno of music, the inferno of noise, the inferno of Hell.
The silence filled both of my ears, 
Filled my ears, stopped my tears, peace swept through my ears. 
But after all that, I still had no hat!
After all that, I still had no hat.
And there was no way I was turning back!
No way I was turning back, just for a hat.

This is a poem is me recounting an experience I had in the mall. Me and my dad were searching for a fedora at the mall. (I had lost my last one in New York.) One of the numerous places we stopped at was a teen clothing store. When I walked in, the most REPULSIVE, MIND NUMBING, CHAOTIC Music,if it could even be called that, invaded my ears. It was so terrible, it actually made me wish I was deaf. I even felt a  little sick to the stomach. I couldn't think straight. All I could hear was the never-ending Armageddon of noise reverberating inside my head. I wanted to leave so bad. It was all I could think about. But I knew that in order to leave, I would need to look at the hats they had. Luckily, they had a pretty small selection of hats, so I was spared the torment of staying even longer. I glanced at each one. Seeing none that I liked, I quickly rushed out of the store as fast as my feet could carry me. I was in there for only one minute, even less, perhaps, but coming out of that store was the greatest feeling I experienced that day.
A funny thing about the song is that I didn't even hear the lyrics. That's probobly a good thing too.

Now, in the poem, I use the term "Metal" to describe the music I heard. Metal is not all so bad. Metal is what rhymed the best with devil. Some metal songs such are quite excellent. The song "Chaney can't quite riff like Helmet's Page Hamilton," by Evergreen Terrace, is a very excellent song that evokes a lot of feeling. It doesn't swear, and it's actually a very clean song. "The Beautiful People," by Marylin Manson, (don't judge me) is a very good song. Although it could use some editing, it evokes a feeling as well. The term I would best use for the song I heard would be-
Ultra-hard Screaming Hard-core Black Death Death Metal.
Simply put, HELL PUT TO MUSIC.
So, I think I may change metal to something more specific.

And one more thing. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LISTEN TO MARILYN MANSON.
I guess if I found an clean version of "The Beautiful People," I might listen to that, but I don't listen to him. Nor do I listen to much other Screamo Metal Artists like Gwar. I am EXTREMELY selective whenever I listen to Metal. I am ALWAYS selective with my music. I don't want to be listening to trash.




5 comments:

  1. You hit that one on the nose!!! Dang, that was amazing. I completely know how that feels, and am so happy that someone else gets it. I really loved the part:
    "I started to moan, then my ears started bleeding.
    But the drums kept on beating.
    the guitars kept on riffing.
    The demons kept on screaming."

    I think it completley captured that shaking despair I get sometimes when I hear stuff like this.
    YOU ARE REALLY GOOD! HOW COME YOU NEVER TOLD ME BEFORE?!?!?!
    Anna S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a really big Hard-Metal fan so I was very angry when I first started reading. I admit there are a few songs that are bad but I try to pay attention to the music and talent of the band along with the emotion behind it. Along with the story or inspiration the artist might have had. I usually don't pay attention to bad lyrics. I really love music. Without it, I would probably get deppressed and kill myself. Music is my release and my expression. I am in love with music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I didn't see or create an opportunity to do so, Anne. I think that's the most simple way I can explain it. I'm glad that you could relate to this poem. I believe that the ability to relate a work to oneself is one of the ways a great poem is made. So that makes me happy.

    As for you, Alex, I know what you mean. Even metal and all rock genres relating to it can be good. A blend of chaotic elements can come together to create something powerful. I just don't like it. This genre is so expansive though that it's difficult for me to pin-point just what it is I don't like. All I know is that the song I heard is a song I will not miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I freaking love a lot of this stuff now.

    ReplyDelete