Welcome!

I've come to realize I am lucky and blessed. :)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

New Music!

Over the past week or so, I have discovered new music. Well, I'm always discovering new music, but I thought these artists might be note-worthy.

First up is The London Symphony Orchestra. They have made covers of the bands Queen, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, and more! I've downloaded 33 songs by them so far. I would highly suggest "Smooth Criminal." If you look on youtube, there's even a version where the vocals have been added. These guys and girls are awesome.

Sigur Ros- This is a band from Iceland. They make a sort of ambient-rock that is known as post rock. I read many of the comments on youtube, and they have all been along the lines of "this is real music," and I agree, there are other genres of music that I love, but if you want a band that makes clean and beautiful music, Sigur Ros would be a good choice. An interesting thing about this band is that some of their lyrics are in "Hopelandic," which is a bunch of gibberish that sounds like icelandic. This is used to create an 'instrument' out of noise. Listen to "Starálfur" or "Sæglópur" (Lost at Sea.) Also, check out the music of Jonsi (Yown-sigh) . He's the lead singer and since the band is on an indefinate hiatus, he's gone solo until they come together again. I would highly and extremely suggest "Lilikoi Boy." It's an awesome song with good lyrics and a tune. The drumbeat is quite invigorating too.

If any of  you have Mrs. Bitner for a teacher, you have most likely heard the the "Somewhere over the Rainbow/Wonder World Mashup." This song is made by Hawaiian artist Israel Kamakawiwo'ole also known as Bruddah Iz. His songs are quite peaceful and he is a hero of sorts throughout Hawaii. On the day of his death, Hawaii state flags were flown at half-staff. He is the third person of that state to receive this honor and the first person that wasn't a government official. He also had a bronze statue made in his honor. Obviously, he is highly respected and his music isn't trash. Other than his famous medley, I would suggest "White Sandy Beach." It's a very nice Ukulele song.


No comments:

Post a Comment