Welcome!

I've come to realize I am lucky and blessed. :)

Monday, February 7, 2011

Websites

I put up a few websites on my blog, so I just wanted to give a brief description of them.

The first is my music video blog, but nothing is on it yet.

elyrics.net is where I get nearly all my lyrics from. I do format them occasionally for my blog, but they're well written. Not to many grammar/spelling errors and they load quickly.

Before I describe the next website, I need to get you familiar with a music term, sampling. Sampling is the act of taking a section of lyrics or composition and inserting it into another song. Some examples of this are-

Enigma's "Return to Innocence." (Drum beat taken from Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" and a Polynesian chant is sampled.)

Train's "I Got You." (A large portion of lyrics come fro The Doobie Brother's "Black Water," including some of the tune.)

B.O.B.'s "The Kids" (Some of the tune and lyrics come from Vampire Weekend's "The Kids Don't Stand A Chance.")

The website whosampled.com will take any song you search for and produce a list of songs that have sampled it or the song it samples from. It will also tell you how many covers (a song sung and performed by a different band) aned parodies there are. The lists are not always comeplete, but they do give a lot of info.

songfacts.com is what it suggests. It's like an encyclopedia for music. I don't think it's a wiki. There are also articles, interviews, quiz's, and a whole lot more fun stuff to look at on there. If you want to find the meaning of a song, this website can be a reliable source.

grooveshark.com is a website that allows you to listen to free music without adds, waiting, and restrictions. You can even create a playlist! Not all songs are listed, but a majority of them are. Be careful though. Last time I went on ther, they had Vicoria's Secret adds on there.

So, if you are interested, go look at these sites. They're fun to mess around with!

whosampled.com is a pretty interesting website.

No comments:

Post a Comment